Wednesday, March 7, 2007

what's in a name


What’s in a name?

Yuan Mari. Kyan Rhed. April Rheiboy. Marie. Ryukym. Exactly, what’s in a name? For one, I remember during my high school days, one teacher told us that a name is the sweetest word to a person’s ear. Come to think of it, it’s true. Imagine being introduced to a crowd when suddenly the person who’s doing it forgot your name? That’s awfully awkward (you a**hole! Here’s my knife, catch!) And so you end up with a fake smile while uttering your name (huh, I’m sure this happens all the time). And vis-à-vis, I am guilty (countless occasions) of introducing people who I remember by face (tip-of-the-tongue phenomenon as I call it) not by name, hence embarrassingly putting them into anonymity on the spot! You know who you are guys, here’s my apology blog.

I don’t want this thing to happen with my kids. That’s why I gave them (WE gave our bundle of joys) unique names. Here’s their meaning.

Yuan Mari. Yuan is Chinese for original (we’re not Chinese btw, and its also their currency). He is our first-born. Actually, the original name was Yuan Luigi – sounds Italian, Luigi (from Mario brothers) fits quite all right with Yuan. Marie gave birth September 8 at the University of Santo Tomas Hospital, FYI September 8 is Mama Mary’s birthday – without hesitation, we changed Luigi to Mari (computer game is no match to Heavenly matters). Yuan Mari, our first-born. Original. Heaven sent.

Kyan Rhed. In less than two years, God gave us another blessing. Kyan means capable. You see, Marie was in her pre-residency training when we found out that she’s pregnant. Being a resident physician in the biggest government hospital in the Philippines is no easy task. It was indeed a challenge for my wife. She endured all these. She began to have premature labor contractions before her 30th week of gestation. Spotting during her duties. Kyan came out of the world preterm – but with all the stress our second kid and mom encountered, Kyan showed to everyone that he is capable - capable of living. He stayed for one week in the hospital – incubator, antibiotics, IV fluids and all. God is great!

Rhed? I don’t want to give Rheiboy (let me carry the burden to my grave, ok?) so we gave the name Rhed. Kyan Rhed. Capable. Great.

I pray that our third baby will be a girl (I’m sure Big Boss will grant our request), any name you can suggest?

11 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm not really sure if this ever happened to you.. well during highschool i thought that the april everyone was talking about was a dudette! to my surprise, it was a dude with the libido level of chimpanzee and the mouth of an oggling turkey! so if it was really true that someone forgot your name, it's either he/she has some loose screws or just plain stupid!

as for your kids (yuan and my inaanak's) name, it's really a challenge... well safe to say that you did send your message accross.

rheiboy17 said...

chard: it happens all the time,got used to it though. My entry as the new-kid-to-beat (was a threat to your "wiz CCS loyal" community - *ahem)and being with the kewl, elite, brainy, untouchable circle of friends (that's *ahem *ahem for us)in high school really made an impression, huh? *wink :)

yeah owright, i remember DESIST FROM ALL ATTEMPTS OF SELF AFFIRMATION - one of the seven pit falls (i wonder why it stucked in my mind......)

K.C. said...

When I was a kid I once found a book about remembering names. I didn't mind reading the entire book since I thought that I was too young to forget names and to be introduced to numerous people anyway. But now I regret not reading that book. It's the most awkward of feeling indeed when a familiar face calls your attention and you can't even remember the first name of this classmate whom you've spent four years of college with. It's embarrassing in fact.

My name's Karolus Camilius (those are just my First names) and in fact there's a story that goes behind it similar to your sons'. But I think I'm taking up too much of your space and should just politely put this on my own blog someday, Rheiboy. There goes your name, hehe.

rheiboy17 said...

KC: i dont mindif your comment will eat some space - this is a free world, its alright. KC is definitely catchy, only a dumb ass can forget your name, so is mine (did i write the a** word? yeah i did!)

so what's the story behind KC? hmmmmn...

Anonymous said...

I too have a difficult time remembering names sometimes, especially those that I've only casually met in the past. Doesn't matter whether their names are as ordinary as Maria or Jose or as exotic as say... Thalia. My name recall memory just isn't THAT good...

rheiboy17 said...

snglguy: welcome to the club! now i know that i'm not alone in name-recall-who-you phenomenon. practice. practice makes permanent. let's just try to be conscious in remembering names, not 100% fail proof, but knowing what we lack is half the battle already. cheers!

Unknown said...

My entry as the new-kid-to-beat (was a threat to your "wiz CCS loyal" community - *ahem)and being with the kewl, elite, brainy, untouchable circle of friends (that's *ahem *ahem for us)in high school really made an impression, huh? *wink :)

do you really need to ask? haha!

rheiboy17 said...

chard: DESIST FROM ALL ATTEMPTS OF SELF AFFIRMATION. i know we're the ones who often fail in this pitfall in highschool.

and uh, i did not ask, its true :) (i remember the conversation i had with good ole friend michael alapan about public schools with shorts and you guys with long pants in elementary, haha! such a classic story)

anyways, highschool is the best. Cuz, for one, i'm with the best gang (self appreciation club)

midnight rainbow said...

It's amazing how you and Marie were able to come up with such unique names! Naku, I pray that you'll have a baby girl - soon ba? ;) I can just imagine how creative her name would be. :)

rheiboy17 said...

midnight rainbow: (kinda like typing your AKA :) as much as we want to have another bundle of joy around, but so far the stork havent delivered daughter-to-be yet.

God has plans, we'll just wait until Big Boss says "its time". (we're workin on it... *wink)

K.C. said...

Well the story with that has had something to do with rome, italy, popes, saints, birthdays and papal visits. It's KaBlog's first anniversary by the way! YAY!