Tuesday, February 27, 2007

terror mom to super lola!

How mom became grandma

Nothing is permanent in this world… but change.

I remember years ago (ok, let’s say more than 10 years…. or 20, I’m not good in math, especially when it comes to age and ageing!), when I was small and skinny and naïve on how the world works, my mom and dad were the guardians of whatever I do. My overprotective mom, such a character, overprotective to the nth power - to the point that in order for me to go out of the house I (well, not just me but that’s what my brothers and sisters do) sneak-out in the afternoon and go to the playground a few blocks from home – with the rusty slide, see-saw, dirt piles, grasses and all – and spend the whole afternoon, sweat and dirt and stain covering me. Funny thing is, when mom wakes up during her afternoon siesta, she knows where to find us. Haha, you’ll see mama rushing towards the playground, shouting our names, briefly pausing at the sidewalk to break a branch of an ipil-ipil tree, ready to whip our ass! Haha! Such a sight to the awe of our playmates (who sees mommy as the “terror mom”. Owe, I even hide my wound to mom whenever I get a mishap because she will definitely deliver her mantra - “sinasabi ko na nga ba, yang kakulitan mo! Yan ang napapala!” (I told you, that’s what you get for being naughty grrrr! – for my non-tagalog comrades). This was our schedule, we can go out in the morning until 10am, 10am-4pm inside the house (or prison, as what I recalled) 4pm –6pm – freedom! And by the way, during prison time, we are not allowed to bring inmates (friends). No visitors allowed! Yeah, those days, such a wonderful childhood. Thinking about it, mom was truly “terror mom”.

Years passed (here we go again). I’d say time, mellowed mommy. She’s not a terror mom after all. Having five kids, raising us all in one roof is such a Herculean task. Looking back, she’s not a terror mom (like my playmates call her); she’s a super mom!
My 2 kuyas are now engineers, ate is now a manager, little sister a pharmacist and me, a responsible Filipino citizen (and a netizen). We will never be on such stable ground today without “overprotective mom” who guided us along the way. Everything I owe it to terror mom.

We visit mom and dad every weekends (now lolo and lola to Yuan and Kyan). Nothing is permanent in this world but change. Terror mom allows my kids to go out and play outside the house (even during prison time 10-4pm), even calls the neighboring kids to play inside our house with Yuan and Kyan – playstation, run-around the house for as long as they like. Brings the kids to the playground (can you believe it!), and yeah no more breaking of ipil-ipil branches on sidewalk…… how mom became grandma, and how terror mom became the best lola in town (make it the whole wide world).

Love you Mommy, you’re the best. (Dad, love you too :) )

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, we all harbored some fear of our parents when we were younger... :-)

Anonymous said...

yeah!!! grandparents used to really spoil our children more than we do!

at times, i became irritated because they keep on coming to me and telling me..."don't yell at your kids just because they're naughty..blah blah blah" yeah as if they weren't once doing those stuffs...hehehe.

but then you know, they say "mas mahal daw ang tubo kesa sa puhunan"

guess we're no longer their babies... =)

rheiboy17 said...

sngleguy: agree. during those days, freddie kruger is no match to an angry mom, haha

myrlyn: lolo y lola. spoilers, hanap kasi sila ng kakampi sa totoo lang - its easy to befriend the little ones, ey :)

duke said...

a grandparent's job is to spoil the grandkids. parang ang pagdidisiplina eh trabaho ng magulang at hindi trabaho ng mga lolo at lola. hehehe. let them have their way.

rheiboy17 said...

duke: yeah, lolo y lola, 3 decades from now, will be spoiling our grandkids .... the circle of life (geeez, we're getting old!) in the meantime, its a delight to see our parents happy with our kids... ahhh, such a sight.